#science answers and questions
Science and technology conversation questions
You are free to use this material in class. For general advice on using conversation topics, see our ESL conversation questions article. For our complete list of topics click here . For more help on editing teflpedia click here . To add new questions to this page:
- click the edit tab above
- type your question into the appropriate section preceded by an asterisk
- click the Save page button at the bottom of the page
Science and technology [ edit ]
- Do you think that science and technology are interesting subjects?
- Which new technologies which have emerged over the last fifteen to twenty years have had the most impact on our lives?
- What impact does technology have on stress? Does it increase it or reduce it?
- When do you think that we will have robot helpers in the home?
- Do you think that robots will one day contribute to unemployment? Do they already contribute to unemployment?
- What are the most recent technological developments which have appeared in cars?
- How many technological devices do you have with you at this moment? What are they?
- How would your life change if all your technological devices were taken away for a week?
- Do you think that technology will ever be able to produce a device which translates spoken languages in real time? When? What would the impact of such a device?
Science and scientists [ edit ]
- What is your opinion of scientists? Do you think they are boring people or interesting?
- The “scientific method” is the system scientists use when studying the world. In order for a statement to be scientific it must, at least in theory, be capable of being disproved. Why do you think they insist on this?
- Do you think that all scientific investigation should be directed towards producing things with an immediate practical or commercial benefit, or should should scientists simply try to find things our without bothering whether there is a use for their discoveries or not?
- Should scientists refuse to work on projects such as hydrogen bombs and chemical and biological weapons, or are they not responsible for the use to which their investigations are put?
Cloning and reproduction [ edit ]
- What do you think about the idea of people cloning their pets?
- If you cloned your pet would it really be the same animal in all respects?
- What do you think about the idea of cloning people?
- What do you think about the idea of parents being able to ensure that their children were not born with hereditary defects?
- What do you think about the idea of parents being able to choose the sex or eye colour of their children?