Job Interview Questions and Answers for Psychologists
I had a very positive experience with a therapist during my youth. My father suffered from post- trammatic stress syndrome from the war and from being discharged from the army. He was unable to cope with civilian life. As a result, our entire family struggled–especially my mom. It wasn’t until we received ongoing couseling from a caring and qualified psychologist, when I was about 10 years old, that things started to get better. Without that help, I don’t think we would have made it. I owe a lot to this professional. More importantly, I’ve seen the powerful effect therapy and psychological interventions can have on individuals, families and society as a whole. I decided to specialize my studies in Child Psychology simply because I hate to see kids struggle. Additionally, I feel that helping our kids to lead healthing and productive childhoods is the first step to eliminating mental health issues in adulthood.
For the past three years I’ve worked as a therapist at the St. Luke’s Catholic School for Children. While I’ve found the work fulfilling, recently I’ve had a strong desire to transition into a clincial setting where I’m assisting clientele with serious emotional, behavioral, and mental disorders. I’m finding that my knowledge and skill set are not where they need to be in order to be effective in this capacity of clinical psychology so I’ve been attending post-graduate courses in abnormal psychology at the University of Chicago in the evenings to become more versed in the treatments and therapies that are most effective for treating individuals with these conditions.
When I studied clinical psychology at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology I focused my studies on early childhood behavioral development and cognition. For the last year I’ve worked as a school psychologist with a local district helping kids address negative emotional and behavioral issues affecting their ability to interact socially and progress academically. As a byproduct of my interaction with children, teachers, parents and other administors, I’ve found that I’m very effective at conducting family and group therapies–and that I thoroughly enjoy the work. That’s one of the reasons I’m so interested in your organization and position you have available.
Yes. In fact, I would like to know a little more about the scope of services you offer.
In the near-term I’m looking for a position in clinical psychology where I can really provide a positive influence in the lives of people struggling with psychosomatic disorders. As I just graduated from college, my long-term career goals are not as concrete yet, but I see myself working in a similar capacity with a competent organization that is dedicated to helping people improve their lives.
2. When did you first become interested in a career in psychology? How did you become interested in (specific interest area)?
3. What are some of your personal strengths and weaknesses? What have you done to address your weaknesses?
4. What are your long term career goals? 5 years? 10 years?
5. Why should I hire you?
6. What can you contribut to our organization?
7. Why did you choose this career Path?
2. What is your greatest strength as a therapist?
3. What challenges do you thing you’ll confront a therapist?
4. What areas of clinical work to you enjoy most?
5. What type of experience do you have with inpatient/group/family/individual/etc. treatment?
6. What theoretical orientations do you have? What do you think of the _____ approach?
2. What is your opinion of projective testing (e.g., Rorschach)
3. What is your opinion of objective testing (e.g., MMPI-2)
4. What additional assessment training or experiences do you want or feel you need?
2. What clinical relevant does your research have?
3. Describe some of the research projects you’ve been involved with?
2. What are your strengths and weakness in working with minorities?
3. What reading/didactic experiences have influence the way you think about diverse populations?
4. Do you have any specific concerns about working with a particular population of people?